Monday, April 30, 2007

My Early Nineties Breakfast

Sarapan Klasik 80'an

What I remember about the early nineties / late eighties is, well a lot actualy, but in terms of food one of the more memorable is soymilk. There was, if I recall correctly, a growing trend for soymilk drinks. Wether it's on peddlers or factory-packaged. One of them is Yeo's, my second favorite to Target brand Soymilk.

Yesterday, as me and my wife did some monthly shopping, we came across a Yeo's brand soymilk in Tetra-Pak. What a treasure! And indeed it's still as I remember it, every bit of delicious drink. My wife of course 'despises' soymilk and would only take a sip than follow with a 'blah..!' I, on the other hand, loooved it.

(We were actualy looking for Vitamilk brand Soymilk. The advertisement, currently being bombarded to us through TV, claims it to be surprisingly tasty)

Along with Yeo's, we bought a pack of Nissin Lovely cracker. Also another classic, though I dont remember eating them in the past. The taste, texture, and feel of this 'Lovely' really reminds me of classical late 80'a early 90's snack.

The cracker itself is rather dry, crunchy, and has a bit of burned (but not bitter) taste to it. While the filling, sandwiched between three crackers, has a sandy texture, sweet (clearly sugary), and not a very distinct chocolate taste. It's every bit as 'those days' as it can be, i guess.

Rasa Chocolate

The label, as with many things in Indonesia, mixes liberally Bahasa and English. This one is 'Rasa Chocolate' which is a combination of 'rasa' (meaning taste or flavor) and 'chocolate'. The grammatically correct version should read 'Chocolate Flavored' or 'Rasa Cokelat'.

Dibuat di Malaysia

Another discovery I hadn't realized back 'in those days' is that Yeo's is actually made in Malaysia. Never would have guessed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home